Friday, November 29, 2013
May 1, 2009
June 1, 2010
September 1, 2010
November 1, 2010
Project on track
December 1, 2010
October 1, 2011
Completion date missed
April 1, 2012
August 1, 2012
October 7, 2012
November 1, 2012
National Key Point
November 1, 2012
November 15, 2012
June 1, 2013
November 8, 2013
Protector costs paid
November 14, 2013
November 15, 2013
November 20, 2013
November 20, 2013
November 22, 2013
November 29, 2013
Seen here the rape suspect during his arrest.
A six-week-old baby is fighting for her life after being raped – allegedly by her mother’s brother.“She was examined and taken to theatre. She is currently in the ICU in a critical but stable condition,” She underwent extensive emergency surgery to repair the injuries sustained in the ordeal.
In one of the most horrifying instances of child rape ever reported, the infant, born on October 17, is in intensive care after being brought to Kimberley Hospital around 2am on Wednesday.
According to a relative, who cannot be identified as it would identify the baby, the child’s 22-year-old unmarried mother had put the infant down to sleep in the bedroom of their Galeshewe home and was sitting in the lounge with the child’s grandmother watching television.
The relative said that after a short while, the mother heard the baby cry and went to check on her. When she entered the bedroom, she saw that the child was missing and that the bedroom curtain had been removed.
Screaming that her child had been abducted, she ran to the relative’s house.
The frantic grandmother, meanwhile, heard the infant’s cries coming from a shack in the family’s backyard. When she forced open the door, her 24-year-old son pushed her out of the way and ran out – zipping up his pants.
According to the relative, she and several other neighbours heard the screams of the grandmother and rushed to the shack.
“When I got there, the baby was lying naked on the bed and there was a lot of blood. She was crying,” said the relative.
She wrapped the naked infant in a blanket and the child was taken to hospital.
Local residents apparently hunted down the man and caught him a few blocks from the house.
It is alleged that he had lifted the baby out of the bedroom through the window.
On Wednesday, the bedroom, which had been turned upside down, presumably by the police’s forensic experts, showed signs of the life shared by the mother and her infant child – a baby’s bottle and a small toy dog.
A glass pane in the window of the bedroom was broken and the window was open.
After apprehending the suspect, angry residents threatened to kill the man, but they were stopped by the grandmother, who pleaded for his life.
According to her, he was mentally unstable. The suspect was apparently involved in an altercation with the police a week ago and was shot twice during the incident.
He allegedly tried to stab a police officer while resisting arrest.
He was admitted to hospital after the incident, but then ran away.
After the rape, the suspect claimed that the blood on his T-shirt was as a result of the altercation with the police.
The mother of the baby, who was keeping vigil at the child’s hospital bed on Wednesday, was too traumatised to speak.
Cop looks on as mob kills alleged thief"
The victim, whose name is not yet known, died in hospital.
Another body . . . but who cares? He becomes the latest statistic in the horrifying list of victims of "people's justice".
As in almost every other instance, the rage of residents was triggered by what they saw as the lack of response by cops to criminal acts.
....the battering, beating and kicking did not stop even when a uniformed cop arrived in a police van.
An ambulance eventually took the injured man to hospital.
The Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, must not be allowed to cover up the cost of the 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles, being acquired for the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), under "Project Hoefyster".
The Defence Review, which is supposed to determine the long-term acquisition priorities of the Defence Force, has not been completed and has not been tabled in Parliament.
Yet, earlier this year the Minster approved the production phase of "Project Hoefyster" for 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles, over a period of ten years, for the Defence Force.
The production phase of the project was approved following the development phase of the "Badger" infantry combat vehicle, which was completed in 2010 and cost R1.3 billion.
The "Badger" infantry combat vehicles will be produced by Denel, working in conjunction with a Finnish company, Patria, and will replace the 30-year old Ratel infantry combat vehicles, currently used by the Defence Force.
Ratel infantry combat vehicle.
More than 2 000 jobs are expected to be created as a result of "Project Hoefyster".
Riaz Saloojee, Denel's group chief executive officer, described the project as "the most significant defence contract signed with a South African company in the last 10 years".
It is, therefore, a huge concern that:
- A major defence acquisition project was approved before the completion of the Defence Review; and
- That the total cost of the defence acquisition project has never been disclosed to Parliament.
In fact, at a Portfolio Committee on Defence and Military Veterans meeting, on 06 November 2013, the Defence Department refused point-blank to reply to any questions about the cost of "Project Hoefyster".
We do not know the total cost of the 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles being acquired under "Project Hoefyster".
However, the estimated cost of the development and production of the 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles could be more than R10 billion.*
This means that each "Badger" infantry combat vehicle could cost approximately R42.5 million.
In the end, the R10 billion estimated cost of the 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles is probably a conservative estimate.
Whatever the case, we have to ask how it is that a major defence acquisition contract, such as "Project Hoefyster", was approved without the knowledge of Parliament.
I have already submitted parliamentary questions probing the cost of "Project Hoefyster". However, I will submit further parliamentary questions probing:
Why the production phase of "Project Hoefyster" was approved before the Defence Review was completed;
Why the acquisition of "Badger" infantry combat vehicles was prioritized when there are other competing requirements, which would appear to be more urgent, such as the acquisition of transport aircraft;
How the figure of 2 000 jobs, which are expected to be generated as a result of "Project Hoefyster", was derived; and
Most importantly the total life cycle cost, and a breakdown of the life cycle cost, of "Project Hoefyster".
* The figures used above were derived as follows:
Assuming the production cost of 264 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles was R8 400 000 000 in 2011 as set out in Denel's 2012 annual report;
Adjusting the production cost of the 264 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles for inflation, using official inflation rates, to R9 767 197 440;
Calculating the unit cost of a "Badger" infantry fighting vehicle, by dividing R 9 767 197 440 by 264, to arrive at a unit cost of R 36 996 960;
Calculating the cost of 238 "Badger" infantry combat vehicles, by multiplying the unit cost of R36 996 960 by 238, to arrive at total estimated production cost of R 8 805 276 480;
Adding the development cost of R1 300 000 000 to the estimated production cost of R 8 805 276 480 to arrive at a total estimated contract cost of R10 105 276 480;
Calculating the unit cost of a "Badger" infantry combat vehicle by dividing R10 105 276 480 by 238, to arrive at an estimated unit cost of R 42 459 144.
Statement issued by David Maynier MP, DA Shadow Minister of Defence & Military Veterans, November 28 2013
ANC govt's failure to prioritise animal health and pest control measures will cost country billions
It has been confirmed that the European Union (EU) has enforced the ban on South African citrus products.
This comes after the EU warned South Africa about the continuing disease in our products, specifically black spot. Last week the EU cautioned South Africa about its intent to ban citrus products for the coming year. This has now been imposed and poses a risk to our economy (see below).
Currently, the citrus industry employs 40 000 permanent workers and an additional 40 000 seasonal workers. If this ban is not lifted urgently, 80 000 jobs could be affected and the prohibition on SA products to the EU could cost the country over R13 billion per annum.
Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Tina Joemat-Pettersson, in conjunction with her colleague and Minister of Trade and Industry Rob Davies must act urgently and reassure the European community that everything will be done to prevent black spot from spreading. It is essential to reassure investors that South Africa priotises pest control.
Minister of Trade and Industry Rob Davies
Earlier this year, the DA urged Minster Joemat-Petersson to priotise animal disease and pest control measures. This was in light of a EU delegation visit to the country to assess whether sufficient disease control measures had been put in place after the 2011 outbreak of foot and mouth disease which led to another ban on some SA meat exports.
This meant that South Africa was losing an additional R4 billion per annum. In its report after the oversight visit to South Africa, the EU highlighted that there was clearly still a lack of sufficient control measures in South Africa as the enforcing authorities were not sufficiently empowered to do so by the legislation.
The DA urged the Minster to enact the Animal Health Act of 2002, which would do so, but this is yet to be done.
Clearly the Minster has failed to prioritise animal health and pest control measures and this will cost South Africa R15 billion - as a result of both meat and citrus export bans.
The DA urges government to do everything possible to reassure investors that pest control measures will be implemented without delay. Jobs, families and ultimately breadwinners are depending on this sector for their livelihoods.
The time for ignoring our calls for greater pest control measures is over. Government must now act without delay.
Statement issued by Annette Steyn MP, DA Shadow Minister of Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries, November 28 2013
Press statement from the European Commission, November 28 2013:
Plant Health: Experts endorse emergency measures to restrict the import of citrus fruit from South Africa
Emergency measures proposed by the Commission to tackle citrus fruit from South Africa contaminated with citrus black spot, a harmful fungus not native to Europe, were today endorsed by Member State experts meeting at the Standing Committee on Plant Health (SCPH). Citrus black spot, caused by the fungusGuignardia citricarpa, is a plant disease which attacks citrus plants causing high losses to citrus fruit production.
The EU is free from citrus black spot. During 2013, citrus black spot has been intercepted at the arrival into the EU in 36 consignments of citrus fruit from South Africa, although this is explicitly against EU´s import requirements. In 2013 around 600 000 tons of citrus fruit has been imported from South Africa representing approximately a third of the total import of citrus fruit in the EU territory.
The introduction of citrus black spot into the EU territory would pose a serious threat to the EU's citrus producing areas. For that reason, it is necessary to further restrict the import of citrus fruit from South Africa. The new EU measures apply for citrus fruit produced during the 2012-2013 growing season, allowing only the entrance into the EU of citrus fruit originating in South African pest free areas for citrus black spot.
President Jacob Zuma received substantial personal benefits from the multi-million rand upgrade to his Nkandla homestead in KwaZulu-Natal, the Mail & Guardian reported on Friday.
This emerged in Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's provisional report into the upgrades, according to the newspaper.
Government has stated the upgrades were essential for Zuma's security, but Madonsela found a swimming pool, visitors' centre, amphitheatre, cattle kraal, marquee area, extensive paving, and new houses for relatives included in the upgrade at "enormous cost" to the taxpayer.
Madonsela's report recommended the president be called to account by Parliament for violating the executive ethics code on two counts.
These were for failing to protect state resources, and misleading Parliament for suggesting he and his family had paid for all non-security-related features.
One of the key allegations listed in the report stated that costs escalated from an initial R27m to R215m, with a further R31m in works outstanding.